Scanning Documents vs. Document Storage?
Or a combination of both?
True Cost of Off-site Storage
Most people believe that renting a storage facility or having a professional company providing document storage, you can store your documents inexpensive. Short term this is true. But there are several important factors you need to consider. But before you will make an effort to move all your boxes and documents into a Storage facility you need to answer:
- How much money do you really want to spend?
- Are you making a long term decision or just a Quick Fix?
- How often do you need the documents?
- How long can you afford to wait for documents?
- Are you including all cost elements of document storage over the entire period of time?
1/3 – 1/3 – 1/3 Scan Volume Analysis:
When we do the analysis with our customers about the total amount of documents that need to be scanned, most of the time the result is the 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 analysis.
- This means that most customers only need 1/3 of the document on an ongoing base.
- 1/3 of the documents are needed on a sometime basis.
- And the Remaining 1/3 of the documents are important to keep, but they almost never have to look them up again.
By using this approach, the scanning volume could be reduced to 30% - 50% and you optimize your cost and producitivty.
To make an informed and long term most beneficial decision you need to answer the following question:
- What is the volume of documents you need to store?
- How much does the material, like boxes, indexing system etc cost to store documents?
- How do you need to index the information?
- How often do you need to retrieve the documents?
- How you do anticipate looking for misfiled documents?
Industry average: 7% of all documents are misfiled and it takes hours to find them.
- How long do you need to store the documents?
- How will you destroy the documents when you do not need them anymore?
- How long will it take to move the boxes to a storage location?
- Where do you want to store your documents?
- Onsite at a storage room
- Offsite, like at a rented storage facility or
- Have a professional storage company handle the document for you?
- How often do you need to access the documents?
- How easy is it to get to the storage location?
- What is the average turn-around time to access your documents?
- How much time do you spend getting to your documents?
- What Security does each of the locations offer?
- Are the documents are safe from natural disasters?
- What guarantee does the vendor really offer?
- How secure are your document from unauthorized access?
The in- house or rented offsite storage location looks initially the least expensive one, but it is not just the price or real estate or storage place that determines the total price for document storage.
Now you need to analyze the best Solution for your need. We developed a Cost Calculator that will assist you in determining the best fit for your situation.